Monday, November 21, 2011

Construction Update- October

October Updates:

La Fortuna, Renton

The Build-a-thon went off without a hitch—thanks to the volunteers, we got a lot done!  Work for Build-a-thon included: framing, painting, housewrap, and windows.
The new homeowners had a construction orientation, there were 11 family members at the orientation and it was good to meet them. Some began their hours that same afternoon, the rest the following week.  The AmeriCorps were in Yakima for SERVES, but work continued steadily with our faithful volunteers. 

Housewrap is completed, windows are in.  

Siding and trim are continuing on the back and south end.  Pre- painting continued.

NorTech has laid out and drilled the entire building and had pipe and fittings delivered. The will start fitting pipe on Monday and might be done next week. The fire room roof was completed and pre- rock installed.

Passed plumbing inspection in all 6 units on Tuesday. Fire room is complete and ready for roofing.
 Fire sprinkler installation at about 75%.

We had All Weather deck and Rail come out this week and train me and Kristina in the proper installation of their waterproof deck membrane.   All of the waterproof decks have been glued and trimmed with All Weather Deck and Rail scheduled to come weld the corners on Monday.

The mechanical permit was pulled and we are ready for Bob's to come back and continue the HVAC rough in.  HVAC is scheduled to start on Tuesday and we expect them to take several days per unit to complete their work.  The holes they cut in the roof 2 weeks ago causes continual flooding on rainy days.

Electrical should be ready to start the 2nd week of November in a couple of units.

Multiple corners are set for string height and ready to measure then build.

More walls were framed and sheeting was started. We will begin getting party wall inspections next week. 2nd floor materials were delivered and floor framing will start next week.

Framing continued with wall sheeting, fire rock and floor beams.

We passed the inspection and closed up the partywall between units D and E. The other 2 partywalls were inspected and passed for sheer nailing and fire rock begun. The back wall of C and D were framed and are ready for sheeting.

Unit e had the walls straightened and braced and is ready for floor joists.

Unit d had all of its wall sheeting installed.

Unit c had its back wall framed, plumbed and braced for wall sheeting to begin.

Site work and Wetlands-

The site has been straightened out and a load of wood recycle was hauled, a dump load was sent, weeds pulled, grass mowed, and straw spread.

We had an inspection of our wetlands and there was multiple plantings that didn't take root and they will recommend different plants to replace the dead ones. They said we were doing well and are way better than the common failure rate. We have a few new weeds to work on, including reed canary grass and morning glory vine, plus the usual blackberry bushes.

We pulled a lot of reed canary grass and cut down a lot of blackberry vines. We also weeded the mulch rings and cleaned the catch basin filters.

Issaquah Highlands
We continued to run smaller crews in Issaquah while Build-a-thon was happening in Renton. We were able to complete the majority of the truss bracing and sheet rock backing on the top floors.

The HVAC contractor marked out a plan, but installation will be a few weeks away.

The roofing installation was started and is about 85% complete.

We continued installing windows and getting the house wrap to the roof line. Siding installation is coming along nicely. Hardie plank siding is mostly complete on the garage and main floor level on the north, south and west sides of the building. White wood continued to be added around windows and the upper belly band has started on the back of the building. We also did quite a bit of nail setting and spackle and started caulking the hardie plank. One front door is now installed. The other door is on back order.  The eaves on the back and south side were primed.
On the inside of the building plumbing rough-in has started. The waste and vent is complete on 5B and water lines are about 75%.
Most of the ABS is complete in the B unit and drilling has started on the A unit. The areas behind the bath tubs were insulated and pre-rocked.
Our volunteers from Pacific Medical Centers posed with our tractor at lunchtime in Issaquah Highlands!

 A Brush With Kindness:
In October, Mike, Kristen, Jordan and Liz worked at one of our A Brush With Kindness houses in Sammamish. They trenched and installed two downspout drain lines. We will be returning to the project over the next couple of weeks to complete some facia repair and gutter installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment