|La Fortuna building 5 on February 25th|
Wetlands/ site work-
We worked on mitigating storm damage and repaired the fence that had been smashed down. We also tidied up some catch basins.
|PCL's Grant Moorhead, also on |
Habitat's Board of Directors
Today the future homeowners had a potluck lunch for us. Everyone ate too much, but it was delicious! Many families brought out their children and ate lunch with the volunteers and AmeriCorps.
What a difference having an electrician! With 1 journeyman and a couple of volunteer trainees we roughed in 2 units completely, nearly wrapped up a third, and pulled string and measured the conduits to the meters. We should finish next week. We are working on getting volunteer electricians to do the phone and cable TV wiring.
5 of 6 decks are sided and the sixth is started. We will build more scaffolding next week and maybe finish siding! Then we just have to caulk, spackle, paint, paint a second coat, and take down the scaffolding.
We are insulating the waterlines in the garages and still boxing ductwork. We started sealing penetrations for fire code and air infiltration, probably about 2 weeks of this work.
|AmeriCorps Phil, NCCC Molly, and Home-owner Bashir|
shown tackling the hard-to-reach siding above the porch!
|The trusty Bank of America crew|
got to work sheeting the floors in building 7.
Work next week will include; floor framing, wall framing (if Thrivent build day fills up), painting (if dry and not too cold), siding, scaffold building, and maybe deck railings.
Painting, finally! We got a first coat on almost all of the siding on the building (except the cantilever on #1), pre- painted all of the remaining plank, primed all of the eaves that had scaffolding, and started the first color coat on the eaves. Spackling and caulking also progressed well.
All of the duct boxing/soffits are done except #6 garage.
Electrical rough in should start again soon. The plan is to hire a journeyman to work and supervise trainees and/ or John and I.
|La Fortuna Building 7 February 25th|
We got a mop sink from the store and today I used the Kubota to try digging up a sewer connection to hook up the sink for washing paint brushes. At 4' deep the locator board was still going down. I dug a small test hole with a shovel and when I got to another 18" it filled in with 6" water and the pumps are at Issaquah, so it was completely filled back in. We will have to develop a good 3 bucket system for the brushes.
The NCCC team worked at a plant salvage in Redmond and earned quite a few new plants for our wetlands. We will plant them soon, so if anyone has a green thumb and could help out, it would be appreciated.
Work next week will include; floor framing, painting, stairs, siding, scaffolding moving, and maybe planting in the wetlands.
|Alvaro Cornejo, home-owner and current |
new Driver for the Habitat Store, installs his own wood
floors for his future home!
Interior finish work has started in Issaquah. The NCCC team worked on site Tuesday-Thursday and were a huge help getting the interior walls of both units painted. The also assisted with completing some exterior painting and several more scaffold towers were removed from the back of the building. Tile work continues. Backer board is about 95% complete in both homes and tiles were cut for two bathrooms. The doors and mill work arrived and 5 doors were installed. On Saturday a good deal of base and casing was cut for 5B.
|NCCC team member Jessica and the rest of the Silver 4 |
team helped paint the entire interior of building 5!
Next week we will have the NCCC on site to assist with the interior wall paint and continue the tile backerboard. Interior doors and mill work is schedule for delivery on Tuesday and installation will begin once the painting is complete. We are also having another blower door test to compare the results from before sheet rock and after sheet rock. Hopefully the results will be favorable and we will be able to have the attic insulated soon. Exterior work may include siding on the roof and painting.
Good week at the site. The furnaces are on so we now have heat. Sheet rock finishing started on Tuesday. It is going a bit slower than normal but the contractor made decent progress the last two days. They will continue next week. The sunny weather allowed us to complete a good amount of exterior painting. 75% of the building has a finish coat. We will be able to remove a good portion of the scaffolding very soon.
Next week we will be removing scaffolding, installing siding on the roof and may start retaining wall work on the north and south hillsides. If the good weather sticks around the focus will be exterior painting.